Skip to content
A doula who is part of Greater Manchester Doulas agrees to:
- Promote and respect the privacy, dignity, rights, health and wellbeing of the people she works with at at all times.
- Always offer the highest level of care and support in line with the Greater Manchester Doulas Philosophy.
- Work in collaboration with her colleagues to ensure that she is offering high quality, compassionate support at all times.
- Support the women she works with in making informed decisions for themselves. Greater Manchester Doulas offer witness, companionship, information, resources, advocacy and support, but do not give advice or make decisions for their clients.
- Support the choices of the women she works with and recognise that those choices are valid and that it is the woman who assumes responsibility for the decisions she makes for herself and her baby.
- Be clear that her role as a doula is not clinical. Greater Manchester Doulas do not perform clinical, midwifery or medical tasks. They do not diagnose medical conditions and cannot give medical advice.
- Accurately represent their knowledge and experience at all times
- Be aware of their boundaries and limitations, signposting women to other appropriate resources and/or services if their needs are beyond the scope of the doula role.
- Communicate in an open and honest way, showing integrity and respect at all times.
- Respect a person’s right to confidentiality and work inline with current data protection laws.
- Strive to maintain and enhance their skills and education through continuing professional development opportunities.
- Uphold and promote equality, diversity and inclusion.