Have you experienced a traumatic birth or experienced a traumatic event in pregnancy or during the postnatal period or perhaps you are pregnant following a traumatic experience? Even though it occurred in the past do you feel that it is still very present in your mind and affecting you day to day?
It’s not unusual after any traumatic event for a person to feel out of sorts and in a state of shock with recurrent, unwanted thoughts about the experience. When these thoughts and feelings persist in the mind and run on a constant replay it can be exhausting, making you feel anxious and overwhelmed. You may feel that you want to move on but are just unable to put it behind you.
Lauren is trained in a simple but effective 3 step process that neutralises the strong emotions currently associated with the traumatic event so you can keep the narrative of what happened without the overwhelming feelings.
What is the 3 Step Rewind Technique?
The 3 Step Rewind Technique is an effective method of neutralising strong emotions that are attached to the birth trauma memory.
The fight or flight response is one of our most primitive survival systems and is designed for to allow us to act in the face of life threatening danger. When we are struggling with symptoms of trauma our fight or flight response is being triggered, even though there is no present danger, constantly reliving what happened and igniting the feelings all over again each time.
By neutralising the emotions, the brain can process the memory so it can be integrated and stored as a past event, no longer triggering our fight or flight response.
What does it involve?
Usually delivered over three hour long sessions, this process activates you own natural ability to heal by using deep relaxation, guided use of your memory and of your imagination.
- Listening to your story if you wish to tell it and understanding the changes you would like to see after you have completed the programme.
- Using deep relaxation techniques to lower your arousal then asking you to remember the event in a specific way whilst feeling safe and secure.
- Imagining how you will be able to cope in the future and respond differently.
What are the benefits?
* The 3 Step Rewind Technique is a non-disclosure therapy. This means that you don’t need to talk about your traumatic experience. If it makes you feel uncomfortable or you would find it too difficult, there is no need the share what happened to you. You will need to remember it yourself but you can do this without re-telling.
* The technique is a short solution focussed therapy and many clients see relief from many of their symptoms after just 3 sessions. However everyone is individual and each session and the number of sessions will be tailored to your needs.
* The treatment can be effective whether your experience was recent or happened many years ago. If you are experiencing symptoms of trauma then the rewind technique may useful in eliminating them.