This is something we get asked a lot, and the short is answer is… anyone!
The long answer is that we have been doulas for all types of families in all kinds of situations. We support single parents, those lacking support and women who want extra support for birthing partners. Women who are frightened or anxious or who are traumatised by previous experiences. We serve women who are very confident and wish to be left undisturbed.
Doulas support families birthing first babies, rainbow babies, and multiples. Our support remains if you are birthing at home or in the hospital, in water, on dry land. Whether you are birthing by caesarean, unassisted, through inductions or after caesareans we still support you.
Families who want:
- to have someone present at the birth who they know and trust, but is not staff or family
- someone who knows the rights of the pregnant and birthing woman
- an extra pair of hands for an older child or children on the big day
- a person for whom birth is a normal life event and not an emergency
- someone with them whose focus it is to care for their entire wellbeing
- a constant flow of reassurance and calm in the house or hospital
- practical help with the business and the miracle of having a baby, such as timing surges and filling the pool
- the partner to be supported to care for the labouring woman, relieved of the pressure of having to remember everything *and* enjoy the birth
- the freedom to call, text or email someone who has been there herself, who understands how it all works
There is no “ideal client” for us. Everyone that hires us has a different reason for doing so, and we serve them in different ways, treating them as the individuals they are.
There are some things that stay the same with every client. We listen to them, and meet them where they are with no agenda, in confidentiality, without judgement, while holding them in unconditional positive regard.
We understand the importance of applying flexibility in our roles, but the basic needs of the labouring woman is always on our minds. We believe that when she is warm, and her needs for privacy, to feel safe, and to feel unobserved are met, that the hormonal event that is childbirth has the best chance of being straightforward.
Even if you’re unsure about what you want or need, contact us to chat about your options